Office: Knudsen 3-164
Laurea, University of Rome "La Sapienza", 1998
Ph.D., UCLA, 2004
My primary research interests lie in applying the tremendous progress of the laser technology of the last decades to provide
high quality, ultra-short particle beams from compact accelerators. Ranging from long term goals related to the use of such
beams for high energy physics research to more immediate medical and basic science applications, the use of lasers in the
acceleration, manipulation and diagnostics of particle beams is definitely destined to play an important role in the future
of accelerators. My background is primarily in laser acceleration (plasma beatwaves and world-record acceleration achieved
in an IFEL), FEL physics (superradiant and nonlinear FEL regime studies) as well as advanced beam physics with experimental
investigations on high brightness beam production by magnetic (chicane) and rectilinear (velocity) bunching studying.
In 2005-2006 I led the commissioning phase of the first Italian photoinjector, at the SPARC facility in Frascati. I now
lead the UCLA PEGASUS laboratory experimental efforts, with the goal of building an advanced photoinjector facility suited
to for basic beam research and ultrafast relativistic electron diffraction.
- P. Musumeci, S. Ya. Tochitsky, S. Boucher, C. E. Clayton, A. Doyuran, R. J. England, C. Joshi, C. Pellegrini, J. E.
Ralph, J. B. Rosenzweig, C. Sung, S. Tolmachev, G. Travish, A. A. Varfolomeev, A. A. Varfolomeev, Jr., T. Yarovoi, and
R. B. Yoder. High Energy Gain of Trapped Electrons in a Tapered, Diffraction-Dominated Inverse-Free-Electron Laser
Physics Review Letters 94, 154801 (2005)
- P. Musumeci, C. Pellegrini, and J. B. Rosenzweig.Â Higher harmonic inverse free-electron laser interaction Physics
Review E 72, 016501 (2005)
- L. Giannessi, P. Musumeci, and S. Spampinati. Nonlinear pulse evolution in seeded free-electron laser amplifiers
and in free-electron laser cascades Journal of Applied Physics, 98, 043110 (2005)
- S. G. Anderson, P. Musumeci, J. B. Rosenzweig, W. J. Brown, R. J. England, M. Ferrario, J. S. Jacob, M. C. Thompson,
G. Travish, A. M. Tremaine, and R. Yoder Velocity bunching of high-brightness electron beams, PhysicsÂ Review ST Accel.
Beams, 8, 014401, (2005)
- S. Ya. Tochitsky, R. Narang, C. V. Filip, P. Musumeci, C. E. Clayton, R. B. Yoder, K. A. Marsh, J. B. Rosenzweig,
C. Pellegrini, C. Joshi. Enhanced Acceleration of Injected Electrons in a Laser Beatwave Induced Plasma Channel
Physics Review Letters, 92, 095004 (2004)